posted Apr 8, 2016, 11:48 AM by Robin Dutton-Cookston
updated Dec 21, 2016, 1:45 PM
Ready to apply for public high school in San Francisco?
Relax! We are here to help. Parents for Public Schools of San Francisco provides information on navigating the enrollment process and finding a school that is the right fit for your family. See our Start Your Search article to get started in finding a school. Please visit the SFUSD site for a list of key dates and exact deadlines.
You have the option of applying for any high school in San Francisco.
- You must apply - you will not be pre-assigned to a high school
- There are no attendance area boundaries for high school
- Students are encouraged to get involved in their high school search by attending tours, open houses and shadowing (following a current high school student through their day)
Submit an application listing all schools in order of preference by the application due date.
- IMPORTANT: Lowell High School or Ruth Asawa School of the Arts have early deadlines
- Offer letters will be mailed in March
- Register at your offered school no later than the required due date
- If you do not register, your seat will be given to another applicant
Certain high schools have unique admission requirements.
Lowell High School:
Submit a 1) Lowell application and 2) SFUSD application form by the Lowell application due December 16. If you would prefer to go to Lowell over other schools, list Lowell as your first choice school on the SFUSD application.
Lowell admissions criteria:
If your child does not make the official grade/test score cutoff, committee at your child’s middle school reviews other assets. This committee will look at achievements in sports, arts, or unique hardships and make a case for Lowell acceptance. Gather all of the supporting material for the committee before the December deadline and be as detailed as possible in your application.Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts (SOTA):
Submit the application packet to the school office by December 7 and sign up for an audition in your desired art discipline (creative writing, dance, instrumental music, media, piano, theater arts, theater tech, visual arts, and vocal).
- You may only audition for one art discipline at a time
- Visual Arts, Media, Technical Theater and Creative Writing applicants must also submit a portfolio at this time
- Auditions can fill up so apply as early as possible
- Attend an audition in your art discipline in January
- You must also turn in an SFUSD application to the Educational Placement Center (EPC) at 555 Franklin Street by the proposed SFUSD deadline
- A second audition round will be held in February
- Go to www.sfsota.org for more information on application requirements and deadline dates.
Charter schools have a separate application process and sometimes require an essay, so check with each school individually.