posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:52 PM by Miranda Martin
Two meetings this week for the SFUSD Board of Education. Monday night the Rules, Policy and Legislation committee meeting is scheduled and Tuesday the board will meet as a Committee of the Whole. Click the links to see agendas for these meetings.
- Rules Policy and Legislation Committee : Monday February 6 @ 6PM in the Board Room
- This committee is staffed by Commissioners Mark Sanchez (chair), Stevon Cook and Dr. Emily Murase. All the other commissioners are invited to attend and participate - but not vote on recommendations.
- The committee will spend some time being briefed on legislation (typically at the state level) on which SFUSD is considering taking a position
- The committee will also consider the policy implications of several proposed board resolutions, including one updating the board policy on the rights of undocumented students
- Committee of the Whole: Tuesday February 7 @ 6:00PM in the Board Room
A Committee of the Whole is an opportunity for commissioners to meet to take a "deep dive" into a particular topic or to holistically discuss proposed resolution that would otherwise have been referred to 3 or more separate committees. The committee, which all commissioners are invited to attend and at which all commissioners vote, can make recommendations to be considered at a regular board meeting.
- Topics to be discussed include:
- Resolution proposed by Commissioners Haney, Walton, Zaragoza (student delegate) and Eng (student delegate): "Undocumented, Unafraid, and United Students" See full text here (pg. 23)
- Update on Early Education
- You can access podcasts of regular and committee meetings. Recordings are usually posted a few days after the meeting. Regular board meetings are broadcast on KALW, SFGOVTV2, and via live webcast.
- There is always an opportunity for public comment on the items discussed at the committee meeting or topics that fall under the purview of this committee. Usually it is not necessary to sign up in advance - speakers will be called to the podium when the chair determines it is time for public comment.